Monday, May 6, 2013

Preparing for Twins

So after having two boys, one at a time, I think I've come a long way with knowing what are needs and wants when it comes to babies. With our first, Aiden, we thought we needed so many different things, just to find that these so called needs were things we more or less wanted, but didn't use or weren't necessary. Now that we're expecting twin girls, I think we've got it figured out. So together, my husband and I have compiled a list of must-haves and of course our wants, all in pink. Things can't be much different from boy to girl right? I've shopped around and found that most of the things we both need and want can be found on PishPoshBaby, a site which I've grown to love.

Must-Haves

Hospitals now-a-days won't let you leave with your new baby with out the appropriate carseat. We have grown to love the Britax brand, and finding that they have an amazing deal on PPB with an infant carseat, the Britax B Safe Car Seat, we were amazed.
It doesn't hurt to buy additional bases if you plan on having the babies moved around by grandma or your partner. Extra bases makes it easier to move the car seat without having to mess with the seat belts all the time.

Strollers are great as well. You can use them all the time, especially when you're out walking off the baby weight, or even going to the mall to meet up with some friends. Carrying one or more babies around can become a hassle and is hard on you. We've found that the Britax B Ready Double Stroller goes great with the car seats we picked out, and for us as well! It's great from birth to 35 lbs, so it will grow with your kids!

Most mom's will suggest the Medela Pump In Style, and what better than to come with an on the go tote and added goodies! This is great for every mom, especially those working moms! The go tote is discreet, so can travel anywhere without anyone knowing.

The First Years Up 'n Down Play Yard is not only your typical play yard, it's also a bassinet. So it being universal is a big help. We're using one of these for our girls knowing that once they're big enough, we can take out the bassinet part and use the play yard for trips to grandma's or when we're outside in the shade.

Now many people won't agree with me on this one, but I think some sort of wrap is definitely a necessity. Slings are better than carriers in my opinion because you can position the baby in any way you want, and with a sling you can fit both small twins in and carry with ease. We used a carrier with Aiden, our oldest, and it hurt my back a lot. The wrap was amazing with my youngest though. It was so comfortable and adjusted to my size a lot easier. I suggest the Moby wrap myself, which comes in a variety of colors.

Every mom needs a stylish diaper bag, and with twins and toddlers, you need an even bigger one! The Petunia Pickle Bottom Abundance Backpack is perfect and cute! It's larger than the normal bag, making plenty of room for everything you need to pack. It becomes a bag or a hands free backpack and is water resistant! The built-in changing station or detachable changing pad is amazing as well. The best thing is the detachable dirty diaper pouch.

Bottles and extra nipples
Diapers (whether cloth or disposable)
Onesies and sleepers
Blankets
Swaddles
First Aid kit
Baby bath tub
High chairs
Nipple cream and pads. I also suggest ice packs (you can make these at home or buy them in the store) (if breast feeding)
Rash cream
Baby lotion
Nail clippers
Digital forehead or ear thermometer
Nursing pillow, whether BF or bottle, you'll love it!
Baby monitor
Extra sheets
Baby wipes
Infant Tylenol
Bulb syringe



Wants

The Tiny Love 3-in-1 Rocker Napper caught me eye about a month ago. Of course, with twins, I'd need two. But they're amazing looking! It has 3 reclining positions which makes it universal for many different situations. You can place you babies in it to sleep as well as sit to rock.

Playmats are fun and help a lot of kids. My oldest, Aiden, wasn't too interested in one, but our youngest, Eli, loved his. I've seen the Tiny Love Animal Concert Activity Gym and think it's got a lot of stimulating toys and is cute!

Toys (babies don't play with toys at first, so I suggest not buying them, and ask people to get them for you at your shower, you'll probably get a ton)

Baby scale
Changing table



One big must have for every mom, whether of singleton or multiples, is help! Don't ever turn down any help or social time. If your mother in law seems to be coming over too much and cleaning too much, take advantage of the baby time. You'll cherish it. They grow up so fast! If you're feeling overwhelmed, and just need a friend, call someone or invite someone over. Ask your mom to watch the kids while you take a bath or just go outside for fresh air, or even a quick trip to the store for a bottle of wine. Don't forget your partner either! They need support too!

5 comments:

  1. How exciting! It seems like several people I know who are expecting are getting two for the price of one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had so many things with my first, but by my last, I had bare minimum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great list for those expecting. I remember when my sister was having twins. She just got double of everything. Although one pink and one blue cause she was having a boy and a girl. It's a lot of work getting ready for twins.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on having twins! This is a great list which will be very useful for those who are currently expecting.

    ReplyDelete