Monday, June 9, 2014

To The Lady In The Baby Aisle

To the lady in the baby aisle who judged me without knowing my story.....

Thank you for making me feel like the worst mom in the world. I have Twincesses at home that need to be fed. How I feed them shouldn't matter to you as long as they're fed. 

I struggled for months to try to breast feed. I pumped around the clock and changed my diet hoping and praying my milk would come in. I borrowed a medical grade pump because I thought it would help. I latched them on as often as they could and dealt with the pain and the upset babies when nothing was coming out. I missed taking my oldest to the bus stop some days because I was up all night power pumping. 

My milk never came completely in. I only got drops. I became depressed because I felt like a failure. I felt like the only girl in the world who couldn't breast feed. 

I had prepared. I did all the research and read a ton of books and talked to lactation consultants and other breast feeding moms. What was I doing wrong? 

I failed at feeding my own girls. 

I relentlessly gave up after 5 months. I formula feed my girls. They are happy. They love me. They are fed. And they're growing into big girls. 

Do I hate myself now? No. I'm doing what's best for myself and my kids. Would I have likes to breast feed? Yes. I would have given my right arm to do so. But it just wasn't in the cards. 

So next time you see a mommy buying formula in the baby aisle, don't make harsh comments or give her dirty looks and glare. You don't know her story. 



How would your life be different if…You stopped making negative judgmental assumptions about people you encounter? Let today be the day…You look for the good in everyone you meet and respect their journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment