Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Why I Wear My Kids

I've been asked numerous times why I wear my Twincesses. What enjoyment do I get out of wearing two tiny little angels who continue to get bigger? Doesn't it ever wear me out wearing them? 

To answer everyone's questions, I'm worn out whether I'm wearing them or not. They're mobile and there's two of them, along with their two older brothers. It never fails that they all rub and crawl four different directions so I'm constantly chasing kids and trying to keep them distracted.

I had never heard of babywearing before I had Aiden. Once I found out about it an received a free carrier from a friend I was addicted. Now i love it. I'm in love with my Tula and enjoy woven carriers just as much. Mei Tais are great too! 

I enjoy having two hands when I do dishes, help Aiden with his homework, chasing Elijah around to change his diaper or get him to sit down and eat, and take walks. 

I'm in the process of getting my pre-pregnancy body back and what better way than to lug a 17 lb baby around on my back while I walk a couple miles and clean the house? Why pay for weights when I have two adorable ones to encourage me to get healthy? I've saved money by not getting a gym membership when I can do better than those workouts at home. Squats and lunges and yoga with a baby on my back rocks. Plus hearing them giggle at my movements is the best encouragement. 

Lifting the double stroller and dragging it out of the house, putting it in the van, pulling it back out, putting it back in... That's just exhausting. It's heavy and bulky and takes up the entire back end of my van. I can't even see out of my rear view window because of it. And putting it in the back I have to angle it just right and clip the locks at the exact moment or it comes tunneling down on me. 

I wear them because they belong with me. The memory of us being one is brought back and shared with them. Feeling and watching their bodies become limp as they listen to my heartbeat, bringing back that nostalgic sound from the womb, as they fall into dream land.

I wear them because we belong together. It reminds them they're wanted and always will be. 

I live seeing what they see, encouraging them to see new things and explaining things to them.  I can see their little minds turning through their eyes as they listen and explore this huge world. 

Emma is in that "stranger anxiety stage" and Addi loves meeting new people, so setting them down to roll around and crawl all over in a public place isn't something I'm comfortable doing. 

I wear them because I'm going to miss the days of cuddling and smelling their baby smells and feeling them sleep soundly on me. I'm going to miss the baby days. I'm going to miss the days where they want mommy to hold them and spend all the time with them. 

Life is so short and they grow up so fast. I'm taking advantage of these precious moments to wear them as much as I can. They won't want to be worn forever so I'll wear them while I still can. 




No comments:

Post a Comment