Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Sleep Like A Cat

Sleep.
This mythical thing that reminds me of unicorns. I seem to have an odd obsession with unicorns lately. That's the second time in 12 hours I've compared something to them. The lack of sleep must be getting to me. 

Advice from other people - sleep when baby sleeps. 

I hear mothers constantly complaining that they get no sleep. Technically, they get sleep. It just comes in 2-4 hour intervals. They sleep when baby sleeps. In my case, lately, that's been in 3-4 hour intervals and lasts from 3am to 7am, then from 8am to 10am. My nights are pretty entertaining. And I'm sure my hair and outfits are just as entertaining to the UPS man when he knocks at the door and sees me answering with a child attached to a breast and another child running around in a diaper at my feet asking for juice for the billionth time. 

Cat naps in the evening before dinner are very much needed. Eli usually passes out on the couch at my feet while I pass out holding one or both twins. 
Why do they call them cat naps? When a cat naps it isn't completely asleep. A mother is like a cat in this sense as we hear everything going on around us, the slightest sound will bring us to our feet. 
Sorry for the random thoughts there. Definitely from the lack of sleep. 

I've been asked by some first time moms how I do it.. How do I get any sleep when I have 4 kids. Well, the truth is.. I sleep when everyone else sleeps. I just don't sleep much. I drift off when doing dishes or laundry, I sleep in the car when someone else is driving, or I drink a lot of coffee. You get used to it after a while. Growing up I remember my mom being the last person to sleep - sometime after midnight - and the first one up - sometime before 5 am. My grandma is still the same way. So I'm assuming we mothers are born to live in very little sleep. 

I shall now go pass out in hopes that the girls will let me sleep. 

Good night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment